Dec 29: Dolphin Watching & Snorkeling
Posted by
via
on Tuesday, December 29, 2009
Since Luis was doing so well with his scuba diving lessons, our instructor, Jomel, suggested that we spend most of our fourth day together. Luis only needed two more open water dive to get his certification, and he could do that later in the day. In the morning, Jomel recommended that we go dolphin-watching and then, snorkeling in Balicasag Island.
Dolphin-Watching. To make it to dolphin-watching, we had to be at the beach by 6:30am. I was never a morning person, but it wasn't so hard to wake up early in the beach environment. The name of our boat was Christian-Joyce (I believe named after the boat owners). We had two people with us, the guy who ran the boat and the guy who did everything else (e.g. spot the dolphins).
When we left, there were hardly any people on the beach. Our way to the dolphin-watching site was also equally quiet. But as we neared the site, we saw more and more boats. It was really curious as to how the first boat that got there knew where "it" was, since I didn't see any navigational markers (like islands) around us and I didn't notice them using a GPS. But it was clear that the rest of the boats simply followed the first ones there.
As we approached, a family of dolphins was already making their presence known. When they disappeared, the mode was simply to wander around and get lucky to be near them or to wait for and follow clustering speeding boats, because it means they're following the dolphins. We saw the dolphins several times (including the video posted above). But there was one instance where they were swimming next to our boat, but I was too panicky with camera, I didn't manage to take a video or a picture.
You would be comforted to know that when I asked if the locals saw the dolphins as an alternate food source, our guide said "no". Hopefully, that's accurate. We don't want another cove going on.
Snorkeling in Balicasag. After dolphin-watching, we headed for Balicasag Island. It is considered a sanctuary or a protected marine reserve. So many people go to Balicasag for snorkeling or scuba diving. To get to the snorkeling site, we couldn't use our big boat. We had to employ a small boat, so that we can get in and out of the waters easily and so that the big boat's anchor doesn't hurt the corals. Our boat was super tiny, only holding me, Luis and our guide. The boat was barely above the water with the three of us.
There was a crowd of boats at the snorkeling site, so the experience was not too scary. Although it was difficult to be careful not to step on the corals. But once we were in, it was such a blast! It was my first time to snorkel and it was the first time I got to use my waterproof camera. The waters were crystal clear, with a bounty of corals and not-too-shy marine animals. The surprise though is that a few feet from where we entered the water (with our feet able to touch the bottom) is a steep vertical wall of hard and soft coral. Looking over the wall is like looking into an abyss where you can't see the bottom.
I was pretty spooked with swimming beyond this wall, but Luis had no problem with it. Eventually, he did see past the wall and he thought I was super brave for trying it out. But it was too good to be true. I simply was carried over by the strong currents. I just didn't panic since I realized I was still floating. :)
After snorkeling, our tiny boat brought us back to the island. We found ourselves in an unmarked small hut that cooked food for tourists. You approach them, pick your seafood (usually the catch for the day) and tell them how to cook it. I ordered 2 small fish, called dalagang bukid (or yellowtail fusilier), because they looked really fresh. We had them fried with steamed rice. It was a pretty good, simple breakfast.
Then we headed back to Panglao Island. Luis was due for a scuba diving lesson, and I was due for lounging around on the beach with my book. :)
Snorkeling in Panglao. When Luis came back from his lesson, we grabbed a quick lunch. He was to have another lesson in the afternoon, but he got a little break. So he agreed to go snorkeling with me on the beach we're on, Alona Beach. I was surprised that you didn't have to go too far to find lots of marine life. We had to go through some seaweed before we got there, but they were there. There were a bunch of colorful starfishes (case in point above), sea urchins, anemones, clownfish, and even chameleon-like fish.
I was trying to get the hang of using my camera, but underwater photography had completely different challenges that I wasn't prepared for. In retrospect, I should have taken a class, but at least, I am more aware of the difficulties. It was really hard to get a focus underwater, because it was hard to stay still when you're snorkeling. You are at the mercy of the currents. But you couldn't stand up either, without risking stepping on coral underneath.
Nevertheless, I enjoy snorkeling and underwater photography more than I enjoyed scuba diving (for now).
Lounging. After the second snorkeling session, Luis had another scuba diving lesson. Instead of the beach lounge chairs, I decided to try out the garden at the Oasis Resort. It was equally relaxing as the beach. Though you didn't have to worry about sand, you did have to be careful over the mosquitoes. I brought Merlin and my book, then settled in with a banana shake.
When Luis came back, he studied a little bit and went off for his exam. Of course, he passed, missing only 2 questions. I was so proud that he got his certification, and that we got what we came to Bohol for and more!!!
Dolphin-Watching. To make it to dolphin-watching, we had to be at the beach by 6:30am. I was never a morning person, but it wasn't so hard to wake up early in the beach environment. The name of our boat was Christian-Joyce (I believe named after the boat owners). We had two people with us, the guy who ran the boat and the guy who did everything else (e.g. spot the dolphins).
When we left, there were hardly any people on the beach. Our way to the dolphin-watching site was also equally quiet. But as we neared the site, we saw more and more boats. It was really curious as to how the first boat that got there knew where "it" was, since I didn't see any navigational markers (like islands) around us and I didn't notice them using a GPS. But it was clear that the rest of the boats simply followed the first ones there.
As we approached, a family of dolphins was already making their presence known. When they disappeared, the mode was simply to wander around and get lucky to be near them or to wait for and follow clustering speeding boats, because it means they're following the dolphins. We saw the dolphins several times (including the video posted above). But there was one instance where they were swimming next to our boat, but I was too panicky with camera, I didn't manage to take a video or a picture.
You would be comforted to know that when I asked if the locals saw the dolphins as an alternate food source, our guide said "no". Hopefully, that's accurate. We don't want another cove going on.
Snorkeling in Balicasag. After dolphin-watching, we headed for Balicasag Island. It is considered a sanctuary or a protected marine reserve. So many people go to Balicasag for snorkeling or scuba diving. To get to the snorkeling site, we couldn't use our big boat. We had to employ a small boat, so that we can get in and out of the waters easily and so that the big boat's anchor doesn't hurt the corals. Our boat was super tiny, only holding me, Luis and our guide. The boat was barely above the water with the three of us.
There was a crowd of boats at the snorkeling site, so the experience was not too scary. Although it was difficult to be careful not to step on the corals. But once we were in, it was such a blast! It was my first time to snorkel and it was the first time I got to use my waterproof camera. The waters were crystal clear, with a bounty of corals and not-too-shy marine animals. The surprise though is that a few feet from where we entered the water (with our feet able to touch the bottom) is a steep vertical wall of hard and soft coral. Looking over the wall is like looking into an abyss where you can't see the bottom.
I was pretty spooked with swimming beyond this wall, but Luis had no problem with it. Eventually, he did see past the wall and he thought I was super brave for trying it out. But it was too good to be true. I simply was carried over by the strong currents. I just didn't panic since I realized I was still floating. :)
After snorkeling, our tiny boat brought us back to the island. We found ourselves in an unmarked small hut that cooked food for tourists. You approach them, pick your seafood (usually the catch for the day) and tell them how to cook it. I ordered 2 small fish, called dalagang bukid (or yellowtail fusilier), because they looked really fresh. We had them fried with steamed rice. It was a pretty good, simple breakfast.
Then we headed back to Panglao Island. Luis was due for a scuba diving lesson, and I was due for lounging around on the beach with my book. :)
Snorkeling in Panglao. When Luis came back from his lesson, we grabbed a quick lunch. He was to have another lesson in the afternoon, but he got a little break. So he agreed to go snorkeling with me on the beach we're on, Alona Beach. I was surprised that you didn't have to go too far to find lots of marine life. We had to go through some seaweed before we got there, but they were there. There were a bunch of colorful starfishes (case in point above), sea urchins, anemones, clownfish, and even chameleon-like fish.
I was trying to get the hang of using my camera, but underwater photography had completely different challenges that I wasn't prepared for. In retrospect, I should have taken a class, but at least, I am more aware of the difficulties. It was really hard to get a focus underwater, because it was hard to stay still when you're snorkeling. You are at the mercy of the currents. But you couldn't stand up either, without risking stepping on coral underneath.
Nevertheless, I enjoy snorkeling and underwater photography more than I enjoyed scuba diving (for now).
Lounging. After the second snorkeling session, Luis had another scuba diving lesson. Instead of the beach lounge chairs, I decided to try out the garden at the Oasis Resort. It was equally relaxing as the beach. Though you didn't have to worry about sand, you did have to be careful over the mosquitoes. I brought Merlin and my book, then settled in with a banana shake.
When Luis came back, he studied a little bit and went off for his exam. Of course, he passed, missing only 2 questions. I was so proud that he got his certification, and that we got what we came to Bohol for and more!!!



0 comments:
Post a Comment