Jan 6: Goodbye Corregidor!
Posted by
via
on Wednesday, January 6, 2010
We woke bright and early to join the second half of our activities package. This time, the activity was the Sunrise Viewing near the Eternal Flame of Freedom. We were almost late because of a tardy group, but the bus driver made good time. Similar to the sunset, we saw the sun emerge from the horizon. It blinded us all, but we got good pictures.
From there, the group proceeded on a short hike from the Eternal Flame of Freedom to the Spanish Lighthouse, by way of a Japanese tunnel. Unlike the perfect Malinta tunnel, the Japanese tunnels on the island (around 20 from what I remember) were hand-dug by the Japanese troops, after Corregidor fell. They created them to navigate quickly around the island and/or hide kamikaze boats on the island's shores. The Japanese tunnel was more difficult to get through than the Malinta tunnel, of course, because the ground and the sides are uneven. And to get out, we had to climb steep rock and a wooden ladder!
But we managed to get through it and made a short hike to the Spanish Lighthouse. From there, the bus picked us up and we returned to the Inn. We had a yummy breakfast, and looked for our next activity. This time, I was much less enthusiastic, because it involved heights and ropes -- zip-lining! But I knew that Luis would ant to go, and it would be no fun if he went on his own. So I bravely joined him. I managed to get through it, but there was a lot of screaming involved! Incidentally, it caught the attention of the other guests.
From there, we explored the beach some more, and picked up some cool rocks for Luis' Mom. Then we walked around the island, till it was time to leave. We returned on a boat, which was a little shaky, but I was so tired, I just slept it off. I managed to miss MacArthur playing on the video. Soon enough we reached the docks and headed for home!
From there, the group proceeded on a short hike from the Eternal Flame of Freedom to the Spanish Lighthouse, by way of a Japanese tunnel. Unlike the perfect Malinta tunnel, the Japanese tunnels on the island (around 20 from what I remember) were hand-dug by the Japanese troops, after Corregidor fell. They created them to navigate quickly around the island and/or hide kamikaze boats on the island's shores. The Japanese tunnel was more difficult to get through than the Malinta tunnel, of course, because the ground and the sides are uneven. And to get out, we had to climb steep rock and a wooden ladder!
But we managed to get through it and made a short hike to the Spanish Lighthouse. From there, the bus picked us up and we returned to the Inn. We had a yummy breakfast, and looked for our next activity. This time, I was much less enthusiastic, because it involved heights and ropes -- zip-lining! But I knew that Luis would ant to go, and it would be no fun if he went on his own. So I bravely joined him. I managed to get through it, but there was a lot of screaming involved! Incidentally, it caught the attention of the other guests.
From there, we explored the beach some more, and picked up some cool rocks for Luis' Mom. Then we walked around the island, till it was time to leave. We returned on a boat, which was a little shaky, but I was so tired, I just slept it off. I managed to miss MacArthur playing on the video. Soon enough we reached the docks and headed for home!


0 comments:
Post a Comment