Dec 24: Tagaytay and Christmas Eve


Despite being sick for the most part the day before, I was able to recover by the next morning. So we were able to visit Tagaytay City as planned. It was only going to be a day trip since we were planning to have Christmas Eve dinner at home.

Tagaytay City. Tagaytay City offered us one of our first trips to just be with Mom and Dad. We headed first to People's Park and discovered that they offered a zip-line along the Tagaytay Ridge.

I knew that Luis wanted to go on it. I was very scared, but I had a good excuse: I was wearing a short skirt. Dad was scared to go on it, too. Thinking that nobody was going to go, Luis felt kinda bummed, until Mom emerged from the cashier's office excited to go!

the landing

So Mom and Luis went on the line separately. Mom opted for the sit-down version of the harness. But she made a lot of fuss about her shoes, because they were slip-ons. The staff had to tuck it in in the back. When Mom complained that it might fall, the guy said (translated from Tagalog, of course), "If they would fall, you would have fallen, too!"

and he's back!

Luis opted for the "superman" style, where he was positioned horizontally, tummy-down. He was really excited! But he explains that the ride back made him a little nervous because he knew what was coming. Apparently, the rough stop at the end of the zip-line can be a little disconcerting. Since Luis was heavier than most people who've ridden the zip, he comes in really fast, but stops all of a sudden. The rubber tires braking his speed didn't help much.

After the excitement with the zip-line, we had lunch at Dencio's. We ordered sisig, which is a dish made of chopped pig's head and liver, made yummy with calamansi (a local citrus fruit) and chili peppers, kangkong (a leaf vegetable, sometimes referred to as "swamp cabbage") with bagoong alamang (fermented shrimp paste), crispy fried shrimps, and steamed fish.

Luis liked the sisig, preferring not to be told what it is before he tried it. He's tried bagoong before, so it wasn't much of a challenge. So lunch wasn't much of a Bizarre Foods episode.

Christmas Eve. Unlike Luis' family, my family celebrates Christmas on the eve of. It's when we have the special dinner at home and open presents. Luis was also introduced to how unconventional and non-traditional my parents are. That's because my Mom ordered a sushi plate from Rustan's and we had fruit cake for dessert. It was a relaxed dinner, with all of us forgetting to take pictures!

The gift exchange was quite the treat for everybody. I got my Mom a customized book that will serve as a journal for all her video games. Then I got my Dad a new camera, because the last one I gave him became a victim of Typhoon Ondoy. But as a practical gag, I also gave him a waterproof case for the camera.

I got a bunch of goodies from my parents, too, with a purse hook as my favorite. Luis also didn't forget to bring along my Christmas gift -- a cool accessory for my digital SLR, a shoulder strap that allows you to rapidly pull your camera for a shot. He says that the paparazzi use them, so it must really be that good!

Luis also got a couple of treasures. He got a My Pilipinas Shirt by Collezione C2 and a baseball cap with bright LED lights on the brim. And of course, anything with lights makes Luis just giddy. I got him a practical gift -- a magnetic wristband, which can hold small metal screws and bolts for when he's working on the car.

After the gift-giving, we decided to turn in early. We had to make sure we're well rested for our trip to Bohol!

0 comments:

Post a Comment