Jan 4: Of Dear Family and Friends
Posted by
via
on Monday, January 4, 2010
After all the excitement with Arnis, the day after that was once more relaxing. All we scheduled to do is to meet up with family and friends. I thoroughly enjoyed these days, because I rarely get to catch up with them over email or Facebook, while I'm here (doing work and doing chores!). Though all the meals and conversations seem to be so condensed and jam-packed, I appreciate it over nothing at all!
Lunch with the Abats. For lunch, we were scheduled to pay a visit to my paternal grand-uncle, Ret. Gen. Fortunato Abat (that's Lolo Tony to me), his wife, Lola Corazon, and a few of their children. They were gracious enough to host lunch at their office, where they successfully manage a security agency. It was really wonderful to see them all again, since it was like seeing my grandparents. My father practically grew up with them, so in a way, they are my grandfather and grandmother, though not directly.
Luis had no idea who Lolo Tony, but he quickly got ramped up with all sabers, flags, and newspaper articles on display. Many of the conversations I can't write down here, but let's just say that they were numerous, they were engaging, they were exciting, and they were very educational for Luis (in terms of Philippine politics, of course). Naturally, we couldn't avoid getting overfed, once again, but at least, the meal was paced.
Despite already taking too much of their time, lunch felt really short and we sadly had to leave. But then I did take away several important things: (1) Lolo Tony, my Dad and I look alike, and (2) the Abats have a coat of arms!
"Merlin, I am your Mother!" My very good friend, Mavi, made some time to have dinner with me and Luis. She suggested the Chinese restaurant, Henry's Place by Good Earth, in Burgos Circle. No one knows good Chinese food like Mavi! We had yummy eggplant appetizers and chow mein noodles, but I can't forget is the pan-fried mantis shrimp. It looked really bizarre, but it was pretty delicious.
After dinner, we walked along Burgos Circle and had coffee at UCC. I had boring tea, while Mavi had panna cotta and Luis had the most expensive cup of coffee he's ever had -- UCC Jamaican Blue Mountain. It was an enjoyable night, made special by a good friend.
Soon, we had to call it a night. But not before, we took pictures. Mavi had her standard picture with Merlin, every time they see each other. We couldn't believe that it it's almost (if not already) 10 years since she gave me Merlin as a birthday present, in our crazy, challenging stint in Malaysia. I'll miss those times, Mavi! But only because I spent them with you. :)
Lunch with the Abats. For lunch, we were scheduled to pay a visit to my paternal grand-uncle, Ret. Gen. Fortunato Abat (that's Lolo Tony to me), his wife, Lola Corazon, and a few of their children. They were gracious enough to host lunch at their office, where they successfully manage a security agency. It was really wonderful to see them all again, since it was like seeing my grandparents. My father practically grew up with them, so in a way, they are my grandfather and grandmother, though not directly.
Luis had no idea who Lolo Tony, but he quickly got ramped up with all sabers, flags, and newspaper articles on display. Many of the conversations I can't write down here, but let's just say that they were numerous, they were engaging, they were exciting, and they were very educational for Luis (in terms of Philippine politics, of course). Naturally, we couldn't avoid getting overfed, once again, but at least, the meal was paced.
Despite already taking too much of their time, lunch felt really short and we sadly had to leave. But then I did take away several important things: (1) Lolo Tony, my Dad and I look alike, and (2) the Abats have a coat of arms!
"Merlin, I am your Mother!" My very good friend, Mavi, made some time to have dinner with me and Luis. She suggested the Chinese restaurant, Henry's Place by Good Earth, in Burgos Circle. No one knows good Chinese food like Mavi! We had yummy eggplant appetizers and chow mein noodles, but I can't forget is the pan-fried mantis shrimp. It looked really bizarre, but it was pretty delicious.
After dinner, we walked along Burgos Circle and had coffee at UCC. I had boring tea, while Mavi had panna cotta and Luis had the most expensive cup of coffee he's ever had -- UCC Jamaican Blue Mountain. It was an enjoyable night, made special by a good friend.
Soon, we had to call it a night. But not before, we took pictures. Mavi had her standard picture with Merlin, every time they see each other. We couldn't believe that it it's almost (if not already) 10 years since she gave me Merlin as a birthday present, in our crazy, challenging stint in Malaysia. I'll miss those times, Mavi! But only because I spent them with you. :)


0 comments:
Post a Comment