Up to Dec 17: Travel Preparations
Posted by
via
on Friday, December 18, 2009
Though we made our travel arrangements, way in advance, our travel preparations were a bit crammed. It was a chaos of activities, including illnesses, busy work schedules, purchasing luggage, availing of modern medicine, shopping for pasalubong, or homecoming treats for friends and family, preparing for Christmas and missing each other.
Sick. Luis and I both dealt with cough and cold. He had it the week before, while I had it the week of our trip. We were both in panic that they wouldn't let me on the plane, since I had some flu symptoms. But I swear I didn't have it, since I didn't get a fever. I surmise we were just both stressed.
Work. We also had to deal with a bunch of milestones and deadlines that needed to be accomplished just before our trip. We both were working late up to the week of travel. But when I got sick, I couldn't help but stay at home, since I needed to be well, in order to pack and travel.
New Luggage. Luis started packing early on, but accidentally broke an old suitcase in the process. He bought a cheap new one from Target, but ended up not liking it. He decided he might as well invest the money so that it doesn't break again. So he decided to get the Wheelie Beast from REI. Unfortunately, it wasn't available in the REI at Fairfax, VA. But guess where it was available? Pittsburgh! Despite being ill, I picked it up from South Side. I ended up being jealous because it was super cool. But I kept calling it "wildebeest".
Modern Medicine. Luis also had to cram his health preparations. He forgot to check websites as to what kinds of preparations he had to do. I completely forgot to ask him about his vaccinations, and unfortunately, he struggled with searching for his medical records regarding them. So two days before our trip, he saw a travel doctor who gave him malaria pills and 3 shots for typhoid, hepatitis, diphtheria and others! He sufficiently shot up before he left.
Pasalubong Shopping. I struggled with this most of all, since Luis didn't really have to get anyone special except my parents. I made advanced preparations to ease the pain and opted for online shopping as much as possible. Thinking of what to get people was more challenging because it had to be a cool gift, that was reasonable priced and not too heavy (I only had a 50lb limit on each bag). Eventually, I got it done, but the last gift didn't arrive till 2 days before we left.
Christmas in Pittsburgh. At the same time, I had to make sure I prepared gifts for friends in the US. I had to send and/or give my custom calendars way in advance. It took several trips to the post office and various meals with friends. But it got done. Of course, I also made sure I decorated my apartment to show Christmas spirit.
Missing Each Other. The weekend before our trip, Luis and I decided not to drive to either Pittsburgh or Virginia. It was necessary for us to get things done in our respective places. But it didn't help with the sad feeling of not being there for each other and working as a team.
On December 17, I drove from Pittsburgh to Virginia, since our flight was from Washington Dulles Airport. I was surprised it I made it, since I was really sick days before. I made to sure I wasn't drugged up so I could pay attention to the drive. That night was a whirlwind of packing, printing boarding passes and running around. There was no relaxation in sight, but we made it through.
Sick. Luis and I both dealt with cough and cold. He had it the week before, while I had it the week of our trip. We were both in panic that they wouldn't let me on the plane, since I had some flu symptoms. But I swear I didn't have it, since I didn't get a fever. I surmise we were just both stressed.
Work. We also had to deal with a bunch of milestones and deadlines that needed to be accomplished just before our trip. We both were working late up to the week of travel. But when I got sick, I couldn't help but stay at home, since I needed to be well, in order to pack and travel.
New Luggage. Luis started packing early on, but accidentally broke an old suitcase in the process. He bought a cheap new one from Target, but ended up not liking it. He decided he might as well invest the money so that it doesn't break again. So he decided to get the Wheelie Beast from REI. Unfortunately, it wasn't available in the REI at Fairfax, VA. But guess where it was available? Pittsburgh! Despite being ill, I picked it up from South Side. I ended up being jealous because it was super cool. But I kept calling it "wildebeest".
Modern Medicine. Luis also had to cram his health preparations. He forgot to check websites as to what kinds of preparations he had to do. I completely forgot to ask him about his vaccinations, and unfortunately, he struggled with searching for his medical records regarding them. So two days before our trip, he saw a travel doctor who gave him malaria pills and 3 shots for typhoid, hepatitis, diphtheria and others! He sufficiently shot up before he left.
Pasalubong Shopping. I struggled with this most of all, since Luis didn't really have to get anyone special except my parents. I made advanced preparations to ease the pain and opted for online shopping as much as possible. Thinking of what to get people was more challenging because it had to be a cool gift, that was reasonable priced and not too heavy (I only had a 50lb limit on each bag). Eventually, I got it done, but the last gift didn't arrive till 2 days before we left.
Christmas in Pittsburgh. At the same time, I had to make sure I prepared gifts for friends in the US. I had to send and/or give my custom calendars way in advance. It took several trips to the post office and various meals with friends. But it got done. Of course, I also made sure I decorated my apartment to show Christmas spirit.
Missing Each Other. The weekend before our trip, Luis and I decided not to drive to either Pittsburgh or Virginia. It was necessary for us to get things done in our respective places. But it didn't help with the sad feeling of not being there for each other and working as a team.
On December 17, I drove from Pittsburgh to Virginia, since our flight was from Washington Dulles Airport. I was surprised it I made it, since I was really sick days before. I made to sure I wasn't drugged up so I could pay attention to the drive. That night was a whirlwind of packing, printing boarding passes and running around. There was no relaxation in sight, but we made it through.
0 comments:
Post a Comment